In line with UNILAK’s five-year strategic plan, the research vision guided by “Promoting more innovative and responsive research”, is to focus on stimulating interdisciplinary research which is responsive to community challenges and promoting research centers of excellence in critical areas. In this regard, UNILAK is planning to carry out different research activities.By the end of this year (2021), the following are expected to be achieved:
- 7th International Conference on Environment, Energy and Development (ICEED 2021). After six successful International Conferences on Environment, Energy and Development that have already been held, we are planning to organize the 7th International conference (ICEED 2021) which will be held in Kigali, Rwanda, in August 2021 (Tentative plan)
- Exhibition of ten-year collaborative research between UNILAK and Chinese Academy of Sciences. The exhibition will coincide with the 50thanniversary of cooperation between Rwanda and China. The following activities will be presented during the exhibition.
- SAJOREC presentation and its cooperative progresses in Africa
- General introduction of joint research center and its cooperative achievements
- Soil science, Water Sciences and GIS Labs
- Joint research projects (Importance & Significance, research contents and outputs)
- Launch of Joint Research Project entitled “ Study on Risk Assessment and Reduction Strategy of Heavy Rainfall-driven Disasters in Rwanda”.In Rwanda, the change in rainfall and temperature impacted on community livelihoods mainly due to the lack of risk awareness and appropriate adaptation capabilities. This expresses a necessity of conducting an academic research on this matter in order to point out the impact of climate variability on community livelihoods.
The project will be jointly implemented by UNILAK, Chinese Academy of Sciences and Sino-Africa Joint Research Center (SAJOREC).
4. Atlas of Rwanda’s Geography and Environment
Based on the data obtained from Chinese Resources & Environment Satellite and High-resolution Satellite in 2019 and 2020, combined with existing Rwanda thematic maps related to geography and environment, the latest edition of Atlas of Rwanda’s Geography and Environment in English will be compiled to present the physical geography, ecological environment, disaster risk and other subjects in Rwanda, and provide new fundamental information for governmental departments, universities, research institutions and enterprises between China and Rwanda.
If you need further information on upcoming research activities, feel free to contact us at the directorate of research and consultancy. Email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: +250-788666156