Directorate of Quality Assurance
The Academic Quality Assurance Framework at the University of Lay Adventist of Kigali (UNILAK) has been adapted from the standards and guidelines for quality assurance in Rwanda.
Moreover, the quality assurance is set for ensuring that academic programs are fit-for-purpose, viable, and meet national and international standards, and that students have a comparable educational experience regardless of where they study.
Issues of quality assurance are a concern of every stakeholder (University owners, Parents /Care givers, Board members, Senior managers, staffs and students). UNILAK considers quality in all activities specifically in the areas of Teaching Learning and Assessment (TLA), research, consultancy and service to the community. Cognizant with the university’s vision ” of becoming a leading University in Africa, grounded in Christian values, striving for excellence in education, research, and community service”, the University of Lay Adventist of Kigali (UNILAK), established the Directorate of Quality Assurance (DQA) functions as the engine for quality assurance issues. The DQA is responsible for ensuring that the awards of the University meet the quality and standards commensurate with national and international academic norms.
Functions of DQA include the following:
- Supervising the overall implementation of the quality Assurance and Control policy as well as its operational procedures in relation to:
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment;
- Research, Publication and Consultancy;
- Service to the community
- Ensuring and controlling the quality of academic delivery at UNILAK at all stages, including admission, course delivery, assessment, staffing and infrastructures as per UNILAK policies and guidelines.
- Spearheading and coordinating internal self-evaluation of both academic and support provisions in the University;
- Analysis of self-evaluation reports and identification of issues arising there of that need attention for improvement;
- Facilitation of external evaluation of the University and accreditation of academic programs by accreditation bodies;
- Monitoring implementation of recommendations arising from internal and external evaluations;
- Planning and overseeing the training of new and existing staff in Quality Assurance and Control Policies and Procedures.