Graduates today face competitive and more complex labour market to the extent that a degree does not guarantee the transition to employment. The imminent trend worldwide is the incompatibility between labor supply and demand. Furthermore, not all freshmen attend Higher Learning Institutions with a clear idea of the career path they want to take and/or clear career development plan. Regrettably, undecided and unsuited students probably become less productive as they could be.
To make a successful transition from HLIs to work, it is necessary to assist students to make informed choices, effectively manage their careers, boost their competitiveness and marketability, and become self-employed. It is against this background that comprehensive career guidance services have been offered to UNILAK students.
Typical work activities
– Provide information, advice and guidance to students to help them achieve their career dreams and ambitions;
– Perform assessment testing to help students raise awareness of their values, interests, abilities, and personality styles and relate these to potential opportunities;
– Assist academic departments in providing guidance to students in academic difficulty;
– Provide students with job seeking techniques (CV preparation, cover letter writing, interview techniques, etc.);
– Organize regular career training workshops, public lectures, and career fairs;
– Assist in connecting students with the labour market;
– Provide guidance to students for self-employment and entrepreneurial opportunities;
– Empower students to locate and access relevant information on opportunities open to them.